Amaranth - Know About The Superfood Grain That Is Tasty And Versatile
Many might find the name familiar yet they are in dark about its health benefits and the nutrition it provides to humans when consumed. It is said to be one of the superfoods that Mother Nature sparingly provides us humans with.
Besides being gluten-free, Amaranth is packed with protein, fiber, micronutrients, and antioxidants that all contribute to your health. Let us find out all about it and expand our knowledge.
Amaranth has always been in the nature for 8,000 years. It is now a popular superfood that is high in essential vitamins. It belongs to a group of 60 grain species and it is said to be a staple food belonging to Mayan and Aztec civilizations. The plant can be identified with its stalks, broad leaves, and elongated bright purple, red or gold flowers.
Where is it found?
Although it is found globally but majority of it is found in China, Peru, Nigeria, Mexico, Southeast Asia, Southern India, West Africa and Caribbean basin regions.
- A mild nutty flavor, it is close to its texture and feels like quinoa.
- Natural gluten-free superfood that you can easily substitute with quinoa in your diet.
Nutrients and minerals
- Infused with numerous minerals like manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and iron.
- Contains nine essential amino acids.
- Supplies with 14% protein that is double to the amount of protein found in corn and rice.
- Helps maintain blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Infused with iron and phosphorus good for blood production and maintaining bone density.
- Contains a peptide called lunasin, anti-inflammatory properties and may have cancer-preventive beneﬁts.
- The protein quantity supplied by Amarnath is natural making it easy to digest against other protein supplements like grains and seeds. This sure is good news for those with bowel troubles.
- Naturally contains high amounts of Vitamins like A, K, B and B6.
- A good source of zinc, copper, selenium, potassium and folate.
Rich in antioxidants
- Keeps the hearth healthy and boosts immunity thereby reducing your chances of heart diseases.
- Is a natural shield against free radicals within the body thus helping lowering risk to chronic conditions.
- Helps reducing the levels of cholesterols thereby preventing the one consuming it against high blood pressure.
- As per studies when used on animals it reduced bad cholesterol by 30%.
A gluten-free grain
- It is devoid of gluten that is good news for those looking for natural gluten free food.
- Good to be included as a plant-based protein in your food as a naturally occurring healthy option.
How to consume amaranth?
- It is easy to include in porridges and salads primarily.
- Amarnath flour and seeds can be included in numerous dishes as gluten-free diet.
- Boil it and it can be added to smoothies or mixed with stews and soups to increase the viscosity.
- Good to replace your breakfast cereal with Amarnath adding nuts, cinnamon and berries to the mix.
- Amaranth flour can easily be used for baking purposes, cookies, wafers, waffles, bread and pasta.
- It can be easily incorporated in curries too with lentil soup and daal.
- Leaves of Amarnath can be sautéed using garlic and onion with grated coconut, spices and curry leaves and can be added to any dish of your delight.
Versatile and healthy, Amarnath is the best naturally occurring superfood that deserves its way to your pallet and your breakfast table.
So, why not start here and now with this superfood and supplement your diet with nutrition that will help maintain your health to the optimum level.
Medical Disclaimer: The information and reference materials contained here are intended solely for the general information of the reader. Patients and consumers should review the information carefully with their professional health care provider. The information is not intended to replace medical advice offered by physicians. You should consult your physician before beginning a new diet, nutritional or fitness program. The publisher or its management do not claim responsibility of this information.