The Most Expensive Car Number Plates Around The World
People who own luxury or expensive cars are vying for customized license plates, even if it means shelling out extra for it. Whether it's a trend or about celebrating their personally auspicious number, having an impressive license plate on their expensive vehicle to stand out is a long-standing trend. Wealthy people like to flaunt their status and stand out impressively among the crowd when they are on the road.
Let's have a look at some of the most expensive car number plates ever.
P7 — Dubai
Price: AED 55 million (approximately USD 14.9 million)
- On 8 April 2023 a new Guinness World Record was created in Dubai for selling its ‘P7’ number plate at Emirates Auction breaking the previous UAE record set in 2008.
- The most amazing thing to notice about this number plate is that it seems like only no 7 is written as P is shifted a bit to one side that makes the number prominent in eyeshot of the onlooker.
- Notable feature of the sale is that its proceedings shall go to ruler Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid’s global food aid initiative, the 1 Billion Meals Endowment.
1 — Abu Dhabi
Price: AED 52.2 million (approximately USD 14.2 million)
- The license plate made it to the Guinness World Record in the year 2008 for the most expensive number plate at the time in UAE.
- Saeed Abdul Ghaffar Khouri is the owner of this priced possession who got it from an exclusive auction by the Emirates Auction Company.
When he was questioned about his expensive possession, Khouri said, “I bought it because it’s the best number.”
AA9 — Dubai
Price: AED 38 million (approximately USD 10.3 million)
- Made a record for most expensive asset for luxury car in the year 2021.
- It was said to be included in the Most Noble Numbers charity auction and a part of 1 Billion Meals campaign.
- The charitable food initiative is said to extend charitable meals to 50 countries across the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe and South America during Ramadan and continuing even after the holy month.
D5 & AA8 - Dubai
Price: AED 33 million (approximately USD 8.9 million)
• Balvinder Sahni aka Abu Sabah a Dubai-based Indian property developer is said to own this expensive number plate.
• It adorns his Rolls Royce.
• He purchased this license plate as 9 is his lucky number and D is the fourth letter, adding these 4 (D) + 5 = 9.
Price: AED 35 million (approximately USD 9.5 million at that time)
• In the year 2022 Balvinder Sahni purchased yet another expensive license plate for his yet another Rolls-Royce.
• The sales proceedings contribute to the 1 Billion Meals Endowment.
R — Hong Kong
Price: HKD 25.5 million (approximately USD 3.2 million)
- In February 2023 made it to the most expensive license plate.
- An anonymous affluent personality purchased it during that bidding at the Lunar New Year auction organized by the State Transport Department.
- It is said that as per Feng Shui the letter R is lucky.
MM — California
Price: USD 24.3 million
- Is not yet owned by anyone yet, but it is lined up to one of the most expensive license plate ever.
- What makes it unique is the two-character that makes it rare in US, also same letters are hard to find.
- Only 35 of such are available for purchase.
- The sale is marked at NFT marketplace OpenSea making it the first ever DMV number plate to be sold IRL.
Price: USD 20 million
- Afzal Kahn a well-known British automotive designer is the one to own this expensive license number for his Bugatti Veyron SuperSport.
- Linked to Formula One that makes it rare commodity to own, another fact being that it is one of the three such plates available across the globe.